Sunday, February 26, 2012

Classic Carrot Cake

  • Last week, Veritas Academy won their first district girls varsity basketball game. It was like a made-for-movie kind of exciting game. After being down 17-1 in the first quarter, and struggling thru most of the game, we came back to tie and we won in overtime. I couldn't sleep that night because I was so excited for them. The next day, I made this recipe with my kids in full gear helping in the kitchen. This gluten-free carrot cake was loved by my whole family. It is very high in protein and low in sweetener. I omitted the raisins and used light olive oil instead of grapeseed oil. Both are fine. I frosted it with my own rendition of cream cheese icing (sorry no measurements used). But the ingredients were organic cream cheese, powdered sugar, and a tiny splash of milk. Yes, I know that powdered sugar is not "God Food" in the sense of being an unprocessed food. But I am not a purist. And I've learned over the years that having a balance is unique to each of us. Enjoy this amazing recipe from http://www.elanaspantry.com/carrot-cake/
Classic Carrot Cake
  1. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg
  2. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, agave and oil
  3. Stir carrots, raisins and walnuts into wet ingredients
  4. Stir wet ingredients into dry
  5. Place batter into 2 well greased, round 9-Inch cake pans
  6. Bake at 325° for 35 minutes

No comments: