Saturday, February 20, 2010

GNOWFGLINS

Here's another great resource.  I just found it today.  What is GNOWFGLINS?  It stands for "God's Natural, Organic, Whole Foods, Grown Locally, In Season."  A lady out in Oregon has taken a big thick book called "Nourishing Traditions" (that I have learned soooooo much from) and teaches the basics in a simple on-line course from her own kitchen.  Here's  a clip from her website (below).  

http://gnowfglins.com/ecourse/simple-plan-healthy-food/

What’s in the eCourse? 

This plan isn’t called “Fundamentals” for nothing. I carefully selected the basic skills in this eCourse, and I believe every healthy cook should know how to do them. They each have a purpose in the nutrient-dense diet that keeps us feeling, looking, and doing our best for God and others.

         Overview: eCourse Overview

         Lesson 1: The GNOWFGLINS Foundation

         Lesson 2: How to Soak Whole Grains, Nuts and Seeds

         Lesson 3: How to Make Soaked Whole-Grain Flour Baked Goods I

         Lesson 4: How to Make Soaked Whole-Grain Flour Baked Goods II

         Lesson 5: How to Soak and Cook Dry Beans

         Lesson 6: How to Sprout Beans

         Lesson 7: How to Cook a Chicken and Make Chicken Stock

         Lesson 8: How to Make Skillet Dishes: A Dinner Formula

         Lesson 9: How to Make Water Kefir

         Lesson 10: How to Make Dairy Kefir

         Lesson 11: How to Make Soft, Spreadable Cheese

         Lesson 12: How to Make Sourdough Bread

         Lesson 13: How to Sprout Whole Grains for Sprouted Grain Flour & How to Bake With Sprouted Grain Flour

         Lesson 14: How to Make Natural Pickled Foods

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Funny - I just found this site this past week! Kinda wished I'd gotten in early enough to take some of these lessons since I only know how to soak nuts, seeds, and beans. I guess I can ferment veggies too but I buy most of them from the farm behind Miller's Naturals (do you eat kraut, etc?).

Really good website though, huh? Also, thx for the info about the butter - I'll try those temps next time (as in this week) I make some!

Amy said...

Andrea, I really like fermented veggies, like kraut, but I gotta say that I don't eat them nearly as often as I should. I just made saurkraut for the first time and it turned out really good. I just poured boiling water over a jar full of shredded fresh cabbage with a tsp. salt. Then capped it tight with a lid that had been boiled and let it sit at room temp. for a week.