Thursday, March 4, 2010

Curds and Whey

I always wondered what Little Miss Muffet was really eating.  I had no clue.  So, when I saw that I needed the ingredient "whey" for a new recipe, I decided to go for it.  It was quite simple.  In fact I remember my neighbor told me that she often made this when she was a child in Germany.  You merely put some raw whole milk into a glass bowl, cover it, and let it sit at room temperature for 4 or 5 days until it separates.  Then put the contents through a cheesecloth or flour sack towel inside a strainer.  What drains out is the whey and what stays in the cloth are curds.  The curds look and taste like a smooth cream cheese.  Mine tasted more like goat cheese for some reason.  And it was really good!  Very fresh, tart, and creamy.  I used raw milk from the grass-fed Dutch Belted Cows.  Click on the link above to learn more about where to buy raw milk.  And then I used the whey as an ingredient in my newest endeavor: I'm making kimchi.  This is all new to me.  Today, I enlisted my dad to help me chop up the organic napa cabbage, shred organic carrots and daikon radish, grate ginger, mince garlic and green onions, etc... while I added the celtic sea salt, whey, red pepper flakes, etc. into glass jars with rubber sealed lids.  Now they are sitting at room temperature to ferment for 3 days (then refrigerate).  I can't wait to try it on Sunday.  Lacto-fermented vegetables, like this kimchi, are so good for your digestive tract because they have wonderful live enzymes for healthy digestion and efficient nutrient uptake.  I'll let ya know how it turns out in a few days. 

No comments: