Saturday, May 23, 2009

My fresh beet greens adventure!

My friend Miriam and I rode our bikes to Lancaster Central Market this morning at 8am.  God bless our husbands for holding down the forts while we were on our little hour-long vacation.  It was a warm sunny fabulous morning as we parked our bikes just off of the cobblestone driveway.  We walked inside and were greeted with the normal hub-bub of bustling people who just seem happy to be awake and exploring the culture and variety of people and good foods.  While we were at one of the produce stands, I noticed one of the workers was cutting the leafy green tops off of a bunch of beets.  As I mentioned to Miriam how "good for you" those greens are, the worker-lady handed them to me for free.  Apparently, the customer buying the beets only wanted the beets and not the tops.  So I got free beet greens!  And Miriam too!  How exciting!  This fresh food is packed with all kinds of nutrients.  You can use beet greens the same way that you would use swiss chard, kale, spinach, etc... in salads, soups, smoothies, or sauted lightly in olive oil or coconut oil.  If you're wondering how greens could be used in a smoothie (and it tastes good), I'll put a great recipe in my next post for the "Green Machine" smoothie.  To close, here's an excerpt from www.nutritiondata.com specifically about the good things found in beet greens.  Thank you God for good things!
Beet Greens are very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Protein, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus and Zinc, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese. 

No comments: