Monday, April 5, 2010

Good fats / bad fats

I have just completed one week of the "Phase 1" anti-fungal diet. I lost 9 lbs. (unintended) in one week. And so if you're trying to lose weight, I highly recommend this way of eating. It's a cleansing diet rich in vegetables, nuts (except peanuts and pistachios which tend toward mold), pasture-fed meats and eggs, healthy fats like butter, coconut oil, and olive oil... and just a few fruits (grapefruit, green apples, and berries which have anti-fungal properties), no milk (because of the naturally occurring sugars in milk) but some dairy (like yogurt and cream cheese)... and you can have buckwheat, amaranth, and quinoa, but no grains otherwise. No sugar (not even natural sweeteners like maple syrup etc.). Stevia is fine. No mushrooms. No yeast. I've never been on a prescribed diet before. I do intend to gain back the weight I lost. That won't be hard once I re-introduce grains. This way of eating is really challenging, but I'm excited about all the benefits already.
Grains and sugars often promote inflammation in the body. I had no idea that eating this way would drastically improve my elbow and carpel tunnel pain I was having. I'm so motivated by that (to keep going)! Waiting for a new toenail to grow is like watching paint dry. So, it's great to have some other benefits along the way. The other thing that's happening is that my digestive tract is healthier. Moving along... If you really want to know the details about that, ask me. Otherwise, I'll spare you the potty talk (as exciting as it is).
Here's a great article from www.knowthecause.com
There are good fats and bad fats: eating bad fats are bad and eating good fats is not bad. What are the bad fats? Well, margarine and vegetable oils used all day for deep-frying in restaurants are a couple examples of bad fats. Avocados, nuts (with the exception of peanuts), eggs, and meat are fine. We should note a disclaimer on meats, however: Meat from a cow that was fed moldy grains (likely very common) is not recommended. The fats of these meats contain mycotoxins from the moldy grain. This is the very reason why “meat” may contribute to cancer and heart disease: it is not the meat, but the toxins lacing the meat. (Argentineans consume more beef than anyone in the world, yet they have no heart disease or cancer as a result of this. This is because they let their cattle graze in the open field instead of feeding them moldy grain.) Grass fed meat, I believe, is best.
On the average, with a wide variation, people will lose around 5 pounds the first 2 weeks on this program. If you do not wish to lose weight, don’t worry- as grains are added back to diet, often your weight will return. If you wish to keep the weight off, stick more closely to a Phase One Diet.


No comments: